Unfortunately, the big news in my life in the past week has been the arrival of a bunch of seasonal Yankee Candle votives. I went in search for the perfect seasonal candle last week but having already tried Glade’s Pumpkin Spice (too strong/sweet) and Fall Hayride (good but very strong as well), it was time for something different. I searched high and low all over town, in every nook and cranny, in every crook and crevice. No stone was left unturned.
That’s a lie. I went to the three usual places I go for my candle fix: Kohl’s, Walmart and Target.
Walmart has their heart in the right place but c’mon… it’s Walmart. They aren’t carrying top quality candles and their candles usually don’t smell so nice once you bring them home and light them up. As for Kohl’s, they carry a few Yankee Candles but mostly still have summer seasonal candles around. Target was the most exciting prospect. They have woodwick CHRISTMAS candles already but at $18 a piece, I couldn’t bring myself to buy one just yet. They also have Yankee Candles but the votives were slim pickings as well.
So, I headed off to YankeeCandle.com (there’s a Yankee Candle store the next town over but I didn’t wanna make the drive just for candles) and snatched up 9 votive candles. I’ve always had a preference for votives. They are fairly cheap and you can set yourself up with a nice sampler of scents. Here’s what I got:
- Treehouse Memories: I’ll pretend this scent reminds me of the treehouse I never had. I had plenty of forts though!
- Christmas Eve (2): One of my favorite scents. Select Christmas candles are on sale at 99 cents (votives are usually priced at $1.99) so of course I bought two!
- Autumn Wreath: A mix of autumn leaves, cinnamon and apples.
- Lake Sunset: A new Fall scent this year. Described as sweetly musky and moody. I just really like the photo used for this candle.
- Cozy Sweater: Another new scent. Already burned through this one. I liked it but it doesn’t really strike me as something seasonal. Smelled kinda flowery. I was hoping it would compare to Glade’s Clean Linen candle (which is my favorite candle EVER). I’d buy it again but it’s not an all-time favorite or anything.
- Pumpkin Wreath: Described as a mix of pumpkin, apple and spices. Can’t wait to try it out.
- November Rain: Did they name this after the Guns N’ Roses song? I feel compelled to wait until November to light this one.
- Home Sweet Home: This is not a seasonal candle but its mix of cinnamon and other baking spices has always smelled like Christmas to me. Another all-time favorite candle of mine.
Now I just wish Yankee Candle would get on the ball on put that 2 x 4 Man Candle in votive form.
While at Walgreens, I noticed these bad boys in the Halloween aisle. They’re huge. And kinda expensive. $1.99, I think. Pity. I was hoping they’d only be 99 cents. I’ve never been a big fan of actual caramel apples. I don’t like eating apples with their skin. Plus, the last time I ate a caramel apple, a little green worm popped out and said hello. That was over 20 years ago but it scarred me for life. This is why I stick only to what I already know I like — no surprises.
Anyway, I think these things are new this year. I wasn’t very impressed. The apple flavor is barely there. It’s just like eating chocolate with a caramel center to me. Though I admit adding peanuts is an awesome touch. I was so excited to eat that one and then so disappointed afterwards.
It’s a great gimmick. Russell Stover will trick tons of people into buying this candy, I’m sure. It just isn’t worth going back for seconds.
Let’s call it a wrap with this post. I’m going to bed.